Sunday 11 May 2008

colour and linework tests


This whole week I've been exploring, experimenting and going back to basics with colour and technique. I'm finding too often that I get halfway through a painting and get stuck with the colours or wish I had done something differently because I only had a vague idea of what I wanted when I began. I have found working like that to be frustrating and not giving me the results I want. I have too many half finished paintings lying around the house because of it. So it finally occurred to me that maybe I was doing something a teeny bit wrong and it's time to fix it.

When I have worked out the separate components (colour, technique, composition, line work, materials), I'll then try and put it all back into a picture and see if it works out any better.

I'm re-reading the book Blue and yellow don't make green. Good book, based on science and research. And I love the satanic book cover with it's burning colour wheel. Makes me want to light my own colour wheel on fire. But I won't. I love my colour wheel.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey Melissa
I cant stop coming back to your blog for the great tips and inspiration
I'm finding colour hard to grasp, I am going to get out that book you have suggested from my library but are there any other colour books that you have found helpful and would recommend?

In the end I guess it comes down to practice

Cheers